[lbo-talk] NASA's procedure for dealing with hostile astronauts

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sat Mar 3 07:13:42 PST 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Eubulides wrote:

> From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>
> THE OTHER NASA: RETHINKING THE VALUE OF HUMAN SPACE
> FLIGHT
>
> The arrest of astronaut Lisa Nowak on charges of
> planning to
> kidnap and murder a romantic rival raised questions
> about plans
> for dealing with instability in space. The Associated
> Press
> obtained NASA's written procedure. It calls for
> binding wrists
> and ankles with duct tape, tying down with bungee
> cords and
> injection with tranquillizers.

> Walker Percy would find the above very funny.

It reminded me of _The Loved One_. Whoever recommended that movie here the other day did us a great favor--we got it and watched it and enjoyed it very much. I remembered the book, but not well (pleasantly but indistinctly, that is), and the movie was, I think, a worthy vessel. (I do think the shot of Liberace smoking in the coffin was a Hollywood add-on.)

All the best,

John A