[lbo-talk] Obama's ancestors had slaves

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 3 08:17:09 PST 2007

jrdavis wrote:

> The real question is that the Muslim world imported almost the same
> number of African salves as the New World did...so why is there no old
> african populations in Muslim Cities?

I think Yoshie has pretty much answered this. I would add that there was a scattering of African slaves in Europe, whose descendants merged into the population. The chattel slavery of the 'new world' was in many ways unique in the history of slavery. Show a photograph of Karl Marx to someone who hasn't seen it before and ask him/her to judge the 'race' of the pictured person! I've done it twice: both times the person answered "black."

Carrol