[lbo-talk] barbaric (was Marxism and religion)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 3 16:31:27 PST 2007

On 3/3/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> But there's a deeper point that this volume of productivity sucks our
> lifeblood and destroys the earth. That we're making too much of things
> designed to last ten minutes. And even that man might have been meant
> for higher things than shopping.

Yeah, a freakish marriage between overproduction and underconsumption.

Wel'll cut down trees and ship books around the world, and produce Ritalin in order to drug children. But offer virtually free access to the world's knowledge to everyone on the net? Or copy life-saving medicines cheaply which the poor can afford? Expect someone with a stick at your door.

We'll happily turn farms into gruesomely "efficient" factories, to the extent of even squirting pus into our own milk supply. (Progress!) But we eliminate hunger by renaming it to "very low food security." <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/15/AR2006111501621.html>

Lunacy. Barbie almost got it right: "Sanity is hard. Let's go shopping."

But that said, people are very open to hearing about such fundamental, radical lunacies of our system. The things which bother everyone in the backs of our minds. Sanity certainly doesn't feel like wearing the hair shirt, despite what ideologues try to claim.

Tayssir