[lbo-talk] Obama Calls Iran Threat to U.S., Israel

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 02:57:13 PST 2007

Chris Doss:

> What form does the inherent anti-semitism of
> generalized commodity production take in the
> capitalist country of Israel?

You of all people, as our resident correspondent on all things Russian, should know what a problem anti-semitism is among younger Russians in Israel.

Or is your statement meant to imply that anti-semitism cannot exist among Jews? This is as absurd as the belief that the racially opressed cannot internalize racist ideology. Or that women cannot be anti-feminist. Or that leftists in general are incapable of being all these things.

joanna wrote:

> What's that? Another way of saying "scapegoat"?

The "Dolchstosslegende" was the fantasy promoted by the reactionary social sectors of German society in the post-world war one period that a victory in the war would have been achievable if not for domestic treachery on the part of liberals, jews, financial interests, politicians, etc.

As the American military sinks deeper into defeat in Iraq, and suffers a worldwide loss of credibility, I can easily foresee a situation where a populist myth is spread that "Zionist" interest are both responsible for entangling the U.S. in such wars *and* that such interests prevent the achievement of victory.

If Yoshie's statistics are to be believed, and I think they are convincing, then American Jews are in the majority opposed to a military strike against Iran. So what interests is Barack Obama "serving" by this sort of sabre-rattling? Solely the interests of the American state. But this is obscured by the anti-semitic accusation that he is playing to "Jewish voters" (i.e. Jewish "interests"). The implications seem to me clearly anti-semitic, I do not understand why it should be controversial to point this out.