[lbo-talk] One-Drop Rule and the Dawes Rolls of 1905 (was Obama's ancestors had slaves)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 4 12:09:29 PST 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> exceptionalism myths
>>

> The One-Drop Rule is probably unique to the USA, which makes it
> really, not mythically, exceptional. Resorting to the Dawes Rolls of
> 1905 (cf.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawes_Rolls>), which put "those with any
> African blood" on a separate roll based on the One-Drop Rule, some of
> the Cherokee Nation leaders are now seeking to exclude Black Cherokees
> from the nation.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/us/03cherokee.html>
> March 3, 2007
> Putting to a Vote the Question 'Who Is Cherokee?'
> By EVELYN NIEVES

I don't think it's unfair to place a great deal of the blame for this current stink on the Council in general rather than Chad. Certainly a few on the council have had a minor conflict with this issue for some time but Chad is the one who has made it a personal crusade. As the Principal Chief he steers the Council and he is steering it the wrong way. He's also a total dumbass.

John Thornton