[lbo-talk] Obama and Israel

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Sun Mar 4 15:29:45 PST 2007

I agree that Obama has an uncanny ability to say what people want to hear. But: (1) During the period in question, he was State Senator for the 13th District in Illinois. He had no significant Arab American constituency in that district, Left or otherwise, so there was no reason for him to pander to them. (There is, by the way, a significant Jewish population in the district). (2) Ali Abunimah is awfully damned smart, and had reasonably good access to Obama during the period in question. (Both Abunimah and Obama were affiliated with the University of Chicago at the time, which is no doubt how Abunimah got Obama to the event he photographed). It's possible he was taken in, but I wouldn't want to rush to that conclusion. (3) As for, "why don't Arab-Americans simply organize a more powerful lobby." Well, why don't we lbo-sters and our ilk simply organize the antiwar masses? Why has Solidarity's once promising "rank and file strategy" fallen on such hard times? I think successful political organization for collective action is the exception, not the rule, and I don't think there's any general theoretical explanation for success (pluralist or otherwise).

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com

http://morbidsymptoms.blogspot.com