[lbo-talk] One-Drop Rule and the Dawes Rolls of 1905 (was Obama'sancestors had slaves)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 4 18:16:33 PST 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's unfair to place a great deal of the blame for this
>> current stink on the Council in general rather than Chad. Certainly a
>> few on the council have had a minor conflict with this issue for some
>> time but Chad is the one who has made it a personal crusade. As the
>> Principal Chief he steers the Council and he is steering it the wrong way.
>> He's also a total dumbass.
>>

> Wandering fingers? First you say it's fair to blame the council, not
> chad. Then you blame chad, not the council? ;-) Incidentally, who is
> Chad. He's not mentioned in the article?
>
> Carrol
Typo. I meant to say I don't think it's FAIR, not unfair to blame the Council in general. Too many members do not understand the issue and Chad and his cronies have deliberately misled members for their own personal reasons. I hate to see blind obedience of the tribal chief but so many people define their "NDN-ness" by their loyalty to the chief. Not unlike reverence for the POTUS but not exactly the same either. Most of the myriad problems for most indigenous tribes go totally unnoticed by the mainstream press but their errors sure get lots of press. I'm not sure which is more disgusting, the results of the election itself or the fact that only when NDN's do something ugly are tribal politics newsworthy.

John Thornton