[lbo-talk] FW: [URPE] can you please circulate this

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:09:05 PST 2007

This is an announcement of a new institute - Center for the Applied Study of Economics and the Environment - founded by several URPE members.

Thanks,

Kristen Sheeran

We are pleased to announce a new organization of progressive economists working on environmental issues: The Center for the Applied Study of Economics and the Environment (CASE&E).

We are economists troubled by environmental degradation and social injustice, by the wide and growing inequality of wealth and income in America and in the world, and by the harmful impacts of the globalized economy on the natural ecosystems that support human activity. In order to change what is wrong with the economy, we must change what is wrong with economics as it is currently taught and practiced. CASE&E promotes a vision of an engaged and realistic economics, in which an understanding of social equity and environmental protection cannot be separated.

We invite you to read our statement, Real People, Real Environments, and Realistic Economics, which outlines our critique of conventional economics and why a new progressive economics of the environment is necessary. We also encourage you to check out our online Green Economist Directory of economists willing to work with environmental organizations on either a paid or pro-bono basis. Please consider adding your name to the directory. Adding your name is a great way for you to connect with the real world policy issues going on in your community and it doesn't commit you to anything.

Our statement and the directory, as well as information regarding our other projects and initiatives, can be found on our website: www.case-and-e.org <http://www.case-and-e.org/> .

Sincerely,

The CASE&E Steering Committee:

Frank Ackerman Astrid Scholz