[lbo-talk] progress

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 5 14:05:04 PST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I just saw this from an interview with Mike Davis:
>

>> Of course, in reality, it’s not white guys in
>> the Rangers who make up most of the military
>> presence overseas: it’s mostly slum kids
>> themselves, from American inner cities.

I just don't think that's true. Does Davis have any evidence for this? Just the other day, Yoshie was arguing that they were all from the sticks. That's not true either. My sense is that the U.S. military is essentially a cross-section of U.S. society, minus the very top and the very bottom. They're better educated than the average, or at least as well educated. Standards may be sagging now that the military is less attractive than it would be in peacetime, but the image of the poverty draft is badly overwrought.

Doug