[lbo-talk] New York doctors call for single payer health care

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:49:46 PST 2007

An interesting article, but I think it signals all the problems with the single-payer movement, which seems to have placed its bets on the tactic of moral suasion. But what incentive do politicians hae to listen to these overtures? I don't see single-payer appearing on the agenda as a wedge issue that could make or break a politician's run, in part because the single-payer "movement," such as it is, is mostly composed made up of lefty doctors who don't do a very good job of reaching beyond their limited circles. Big business's tiring of paying for increasing is really the only other avenue I see to break the chokehold of commercial insurers, but I don't see much traction there, either. I also think most leftists are too into ideological purity to consider how their interests (single payer as human rights issue) might converge with big business's (cost-cutting) and craft a pragmatic strategy around that.