[lbo-talk] US consumption (was barbaric?)

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue Mar 6 03:43:14 PST 2007

James Heartfield wrote:

> But the secular tendency is there, it is the

> tendency to reduce costs...

Sure, when you leave off, in order of increasing necessity, college, health care and a house to live in, things look g-r-r-reat! I paid $250 for 512KB of RAM (36 256Kbit DIPs) for my 80286 peecee in '87.

> Andie says that his dad could afford to send

> three children to college. I am glad to hear

> that, but US college enrollments have been

> climbing again, after a big dip in the mid 80s,

> so that now they stand at 27.8 million as

> opposed to 20 million in 1967.

That's not even keeping up with population growth, see:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/censr-4.pdf

Also it was a lot more likely for Joe Mdian to get that median-wage job without a college degree in 1967 than it is today.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net