[lbo-talk] barbaric

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 6 08:25:11 PST 2007

joanna wrote:
> Far from helping to promote productivity or creativity, the work of
> management is to throttle both as much as possible. Throttling
> creativity is always the rule. As for productivity -- while they are
> always interested in making workers work harder; they are seldom
> interested in making them more efficient, at least in my neck of the
> woods: hi tech.

I'm up here in the ivory tower, so perhaps this is a silly question: if management constantly throttles both productivity and creativity, how do corps produce new products and generate profits? Doesn't even a capitalist economy demand innovation? For instance, if creativity in research and devel is stifled in one pharma and encouraged in another, wouldn't the creativity-stifled pharma miss out on the profits generated by new patented drugs?

Also, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between productivity and efficiency. Isn't increasing efficiency just producing more goods and services per worker?

Miles