[lbo-talk] Still a propos of Nothing in Particular

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 21:51:26 PST 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

>He glanced with rapid eyes
>That hurried all around--
>They looked like frightened Beads, I thought--
>He stirred his Velvet Head
>
>Like one in danger, Cautious,
>I offered him a Crumb
>And he unrolled his feathers
>And rowed him softer home--

"Like one in danger" is the bird; "Cautious" is I.

Thanks for the poems. In my book she stands with John Donne at one of the pinnacles of English poetry.

Tillie Olsen died this year, at 95. The last few years of her life were eaten away by Alzheimers. And yet they say that to her dying day, she wandered the halls of Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, clutching and reading from Dickinson's poems.

Joanna

P.S. I don't know if you know her work. She wrote exactly four short stories -- four masterpieces, well worth the reading.