[lbo-talk] Productivity, Efficiency, Enron, Doom (Was Re: barbaric)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 7 06:25:20 PST 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 2:38 AM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I am not aware of a productivity measure that
> measures unit output as a ratio of some measure of
> profit, although such a function could be constructed.

Tthe BLS does report a measure of unit profits, as part of the productivity series. From the end of the recession in the fourth quarter of 2001 through the third quarter of 2006 (the latest data available), unit profits rose 144%; real unit profits, 122% (deflated by the price index for nonresidential investment); real hourly compensation (which includes fringe benefits), up 5%; real direct pay (excluding fringe benefits), down 0.4%.

Doug