[lbo-talk] Productivity, Efficiency, Enron, Doom (Was Re: barbaric)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 13:19:16 PST 2007

There's a lot stuff flowing up with no return, but I will note that honest management fees on mutual funds involve the provision of real services, investment analysts doing work the investors won't or can't do, assembling bundles of securities, watching them, buying and selling at the right time, etc. That's real work. Likewise a guide to take you through the bureaucracy is certainly providing real services.

There are problems when management or service fees are inflated because there's no real competitive market to set objective standards -- in a paper I am writing I am arguing that this happens a lot with class action plaintiffs' attorney's fees. (Never mind Enron or Prudential-Bache style outright theft and fraud.) Another problem is when executive compensation goes through the roof when there is no evidence that this contributes to profit, shareholder value, or accrues in any way to the benefit of the company,

But the real exchange of something for nothing is the return on investment due to mere ownership, which adds nothing to value of a good or service and is merely an entitlement to an income stream. And that is nothing new,it is as old exploitation itself.