[lbo-talk] US immiseration

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 7 14:55:52 PST 2007

James Heartfield wrote:
> Carl Remick takes a pop at me, since I am in trouble for saying that
> Americans are not starving. But what does Carl say about the impoverished
> yanks?

This is an example of you twisting things a bit. No one on this list claimed Americans are starving so no one took you to task for claiming they are not. The contention that all is better today than 30 years ago is disputed however.

Real wages are down (that means adjusted using the CPI) when compared to 1973, the year they peaked. This year is chosen because it demonstrates that the trend in rising wages effectively ended and wages began a decline. Something you are loath to admit for some odd reason. The hours worked has climbed as has worker productivity. No one disputes consumption is up but the growth has been PRIMARILY for those in the upper incomes and much consumption has also been fueled by debt accumulation for those in the middle and lower incomes. If you think falling wages, increased work loads, and increased debt are all signs of things improving over time you are going to have a tough time selling that idea here. You're going to have a tough time selling that to most progressives/leftists as well.

John Thornton