[lbo-talk] Understanding _Capital_ (Was Re: barbaric)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:24:32 PST 2007

Tim wrote:

> I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the use of force in primitive
> accumulation, as out of context that does suggest the "armed robbery"
> view.

This is the kind of thing I had in mind when in a previous post I spoke of metonymic confusion. Mere adjacence can create identity. Sometimes that is harmless, but we are at the heart of what differentiates Marxism from other understandings of capital, and it is necessary to avoid such confusion.

Violence (direct & intentional violence) only operates in the immediate presence; thus exploitation grounded in force does not shape human time as does capitalist exploitation. The current 'popularity' of 7/24 can image the depth of capitalist penetration into the whole of human life.

Carrol