[lbo-talk] Understanding _Capital_

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 15:08:33 PST 2007

Are you coerced if you are given no alternative but to do what you'd do anyway, given your upbringing and background? I have a view on this (it's "yes"), but like Bill B in another context, I can see both sides.

Consent theory is a mess, see Don Herzog's book Happy Slaves. (You can get the gist of the argument from the title. But it's a fun read. Disclosure: Don's a good friend and was one of my dissertation advisers. But he really is good and extremely and unfashionably accessible.*)

On the other hand, what's the alternative to "the consent of the governed"?

* People who liker to make fun of neoclasdsical nd economics and rational choice theory would do well to read his short and extremely entertaining book entitled Cunning, which he tells me has fallen deadborn from the press, more's the pity.