[lbo-talk] Eichenwald revisited

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 22:15:39 PST 2007

When he was a junior partner and I was mid-level associate at Kirkland & Ellis, a big law firm, I worked under Jim Mutchnik, formerly a Justice Dept antitrust lawyer, and a lead prosecutor in the ADM case. He told me that Rats In The Grain was a piece of garbage and the most reliable book on the case was Kurt Eichenwald's The Informant. Jim probably knows more about the ADM case than anyone, and the book is not overly flattering to him either (it shows that he made some serious mistakes in the prosecution of the case). It's generally regarded as the standard study in the white collar crime biz (I mean among lawyers and legal academics), in which I am a bit player. I wouldn't say it's apologetics. Far from it. His book on Enron (Conspiracy of Fools) is quite good, although not as good as The Smartest Guys In The Room (McLean & Elkind), and his book on the Prudential-Bache debacle, Serpent on the Rock, is also excellent.