[lbo-talk] Understanding _Capital_ (Was Re: barbaric)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:13:14 PST 2007

On 3/9/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Carrol will tell us we cannot even think about the
> shape of a future society, but this is a mistake. What
> we cannot do is imagine we can draw up a perfect plan
> and expect that it would be realized (contrary to the
> Parecon people, for example, whose vivid account of a
> future society is detailed at a level that would put
> Owen and Saint-Simon to shame).

I do get the impression that Michael Albert "believes" in it too much. Could be wrong. (A theory like Parecon is at some level a fantasy. An educated guess.)

But I think it's reasonable to be as detailed as Parecon is. Parecon should be implementable. For example, I'm in a discussion right now with someone to help a parecon-inspired startup grow. (Obviously, ideas are also drawn from mainstream sources, even ones discussed in manager schools, not just "anarcho-wingnut" schemes like parecon. ;) As long as there's sane levels of skepticism, I think the level of detail is helpful. It offers concrete illustrations, which one can reject or build upon as the situation warrants.

When I observe reasonable people discussing classic literature on management, they pick out what worked out and what didn't. Sure, some conclusions will be wrong, outdated, or just plain quaint. And I mean, not even a fervent Parecon advocate goes around calling any of the authors "Founding Fathers" or "The Master." If you feel like insulting someone in that circle, go ahead and call them a Chomskyite. ;)

What personally attracts me to Parecon is that it concerns itself with strands I almost never see discussed elsewhere, which correspond to intuitions I've had.

Tayssir