[lbo-talk] abortion poll

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:27:44 PST 2007

> Among Catholics, preference for abortion to be legal in all cases has
> declined from 26 percent in 2004 to 10 percent now – with a
> corresponding rise in the number who say it should be legal in most
> cases, but not all.

So that's still one in four who could reasonably be called pro-choice.

Jeez. Can you guys send some of them over here? There's an election coming up in a month or two, and the only abortion-related issue that *might* feature in it (and probably won't, anyway) is the current government's ongoing refusal to legislate for a Supreme Court decision that women can have abortions if they're going to kill themselves otherwise.

We did manage to get a decent turnout to a demonstration yesterday against a truly evil bunch of reactionaries posing as a crisis pregnancy counselling agency:

"Pro Choice Activists marked International Women's Day by holding a protest outside a Rogue family planning agency on Dorset Street. The Agency, called "Women's Resource Agency" and also using the name "British Alternatives Pregnancy Services", was covered up with a brown sheeting - in an attempt to prevent their identity and location being exposed in the media.

Advertised as a pregnancy counselling agency, it subjects women in crisis pregnancies to psychological manipulation, misleading and deliberately lying about pregnancy and abortion services to prevent women from travelling for abortion services. The lies they tell clients are designed to force women to feel guilt and shame for even considering abortion as an option."

Full reports at http://www.indymedia.ie/article/81395 and http://www.indymedia.ie/article/81414