[lbo-talk] abortion poll

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 9 14:48:56 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> This is not the way the American mind works. It's all about hugging
> the middle and avoiding extremes. Your position is an extreme; even a
> radically pro-abortion guy like me is uncomfortable with the phrase
> "for the hell of it." And if that's my reaction, the reaction of the
> Vital Center would be very very harsh.

I am all to aware of the _fact_: 40 years ago a perverse application of the vital center principle by the College APT Committee torpedoed my career (rather more than either politics or depression did).

There are plenty of good liberals (word used mostly poitively) out there to get what they can (not very fuckinbg much) out of the vital center.

But some of us do have to keep our focus on what we need, not what can be gotten now.

The problem with opportunism, as a friend from Carbondale in the '60s noted, is that it is so seldom opportune.

Carrol

When the rustlers broke on us in the dead hour of night She rose from her warm bed a battle to fight. She rose from her warm bed with a gun in each hand Saying, "Come all you cowboys, and fight for your land." Come all of you cowboys, and don't ever run As long as there's bullets in both of your guns.