[lbo-talk] abortion poll

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 9 15:53:45 PST 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I think the point is there are good and bad ways of expressing a
> pro-abortion position. Abortion "for the hell of it" is not going to
> win friends and influence people.

Think of the public as Mr. Woodhouse. The first step in persuading him to a change is persuading him that it is going to happen. I can persuade a supporter of the war in Iraq to oppose that war. I would not dream of persuading an enemy of abortion to approve it; rather circumstances must persuade him that there is nothing to argue about and that abortion is here. Abortion defenders must simply make more of anuisance of themselves than abortion opponents do.

carrol