[lbo-talk] abortion poll

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 22:16:45 PST 2007

Right on all counts. One would have see whether "viability" means "third trimester," as in Roe, though; and I don't think we know that. One reason to think that it might not be is that Roe's trimester division was based on the state of medical knowledge in 1973, and (one would expect a state proposing restrictions that cut earlier to argue) new medical advances have pushed viability back before the third trimester. That argument would probably find a sympathetic ear, or at least ten of them, on the new Court. (The Roe opinion's dependence in part on the state of medical knowledge at a time is one of its many flaws.) The issue, however, is as you say, sort of moot now. We can just hope that they'll content themselves with finding all burdens to be due and not getting rid of the fundamental right

<http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/91-744.ZS.html>),