[lbo-talk] Understanding _Capital_ (Was Re: barbaric)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 10 08:50:57 PST 2007

Eubulides wrote:

> The notion that innovation should stop, ever, is utterly reactionary and stupid.
> It's like demanding evolution to stop eons before the sun goes out.
>
> I suspect Carroll would get along just fine with William F. Buckley on this one
> :-)

If Buckley were a consevative instead of little rich jerk fearing loss of privilege I probably could.

Of course innovation occurs willy-nilly; that's no problem. New microwave oven that complicates tasks micro waves do well and adds gimmicks not needed is is archetype of innovation tha must be radically slowed down. This achieved by eliminating economic motive for innovation. Innovation only occurs in response to visible need.

One of the siliest fears is that human variety may disappear in egalitarian society. This expressed also in weeping and wailing about, e.g., school uniforms. Humans infinitely capable of delightful vasrity. One of reasons Milton's blank verse & Pope's couplets so much more delightful than Donne's stanza,s.

Carrol

Two-finger typing infinitely fruitful of typos.