[lbo-talk] Gulf Coast shipyard workers strike Northrop Grumman

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 20:28:04 PST 2007

Shipyard workers take to picket lines demanding better pay, benefits

By Brad Crocker The Mississippi Press Friday, March 09, 2007

Pascagoula -- There was a mass exodus of shipyard workers Thursday as they replaced their tools for picket signs in the first strike at Northrop Grumman's Pascagoula shipyard since 1999.

A majority of the approximately 10,000 workers at Mississippi's largest private employer reported to work as normal but walked out about 9 a.m. when they received word that their national union offices had sanctioned a strike.

"I immediately told everybody, Drop what you're doin' and let's go,'" said 14-year painter Jennifer Kelley.

Many others like pipe welder Carlos Stringfield came in at 4 a.m. and chose to wait in the main employee parking lot for the strike to strengthen.

Fourteen of the 15 unions, representing nearly 7,800 workers, voted down a four-year proposed contract last week and rejected a revised three-year offer earlier this week, primarily arguing that proposed pay increases were not enough and health care premiums would be too high.

Both the turnouts were record-breaking, as well as the 90 percent of workers who consistently rejected the contract, an early sign a strike was imminent and indication of the solidarity displayed Thursday when workers united.

Grady Bryant, an official with the Pascagoula Metal Trades Council, which represents 11 unions, said he does not expect talks to resume with company officials for a day or two.

He referred to the workers as "the hardest-working women and men in the shipyard ... who build the best ships in the world."

The medians on Jerry St. Pé Highway leading to the shipyard's main gate Thursday were lined with workers holding signs demanding more money and better benefits. They were also telling anyone driving by to "turn it around" and honor the pickets.

Workers also plan to march at 6 a.m. Monday from the West Bank parking lot, across the U.S. 90 high-rise bridge, east along the highway to Market Street, south to Jackson Avenue and north on Pascagoula Street before heading back west.

Police Chief Mike Whitmore said the police department will handle the march similar to other large processions on public streets as long as it does not interfere with traffic.

Like many other workers, Stringfield said company officials praise workers when ship contracts are completed, but that's not enough appreciation.

"You need to show me that by the way you pay me," Stringfield said. "That (speeches) don't pay my bills, that don't take care of my family."

Stringfield said the company "tricked us" with a one-time $3,000 bonus in the contract approved four years ago, something he said weighed in on many workers' decision to turn the current proposals down because of cost-of-living increases, gas prices, post-Hurricane Katrina costs and other factors since 2003.

They want more guaranteed money along with better benefits, he said.

If the company could bring raises up to $3 per hour the first year, instead of $1.40, and $2 per hour instead of the 55-cent raise currently proposed for years two and three, Stringfield said he could live with that.

"We just want to be paid fairly," he said.

When asked how he could survive a lengthy strike, Stringfield replied, "God will provide. We survived Katrina, we can survive Northrop Grumman."

Curly Lee Bivins, a 16-year pipefitter, commutes 90 miles one way every day to the shipyard from Wayne County. He recalled the praise from company officials when workers got the shipyard up and running shortly after Katrina, but now feels those same people "are throwing us out like trash" with the current proposals.

He said he understands "business is business ... but I'd like to send my children to college."

Kelley said workers in her field and other trades deal with 125-degree summer temperatures inside ships, extreme heights and work with dangerous chemicals and equipment.

"We've just had enough of the unfair proposals," she said.

Steven Searcy has been in the electrical apprenticeship program for 212 years. He walked out when sanctions were announced.

"I was ready for this," said Searcy of Hurley, who not only wants higher pay and lower health insurance premiums but also sick leave and personal days and dental and vision insurance.

Some argue the company's proposal could benefit workers in the apprenticeship programs. Searcy said he agrees to a certain point, but said he learned from others that the deal four years ago did not stretch as far as workers had expected and some still live paycheck to paycheck.

Searcy said that played a large role in his wanting to join the work stoppage and picket lines.

"I'm not looking out for myself right now. I'm looking out for my family and the future," Searcy said.

National Metal Trades Department President Ron Ault said in a press release that workers are still feeling Katrina effects and demand better treatment.

"Our members at Ingalls are frustrated and angry. Ever since the Gulf Coast storms two years ago their quality of life has taken a nosedive," he said in the press release. "Housing is expensive and hard to find. Paying for everyday commodities and services like gasoline and even groceries takes a much bigger bite out of their home pay than two years ago."

Ault supported workers' comparisons of "abandonment and neglect of this region. Our members are the world's best shipbuilders, living in one of the nation's most devastated areas. Something has got to give."

On the picket line, workers were granted one wish when contractors delivering supplies to the shipyard honored the strike.

A female driver of an 18-wheeler belonging to TW Metals stopped on the thoroughfare, appeared to have called a supervisor and then turned around and did not enter the shipyard, a move that brought loud cheers from hundreds of workers. Several other companies were said to have followed suit.

The 1999 strike, which lasted three weeks, was led by machinists, known as "The 35" because of its 35 union members. Gary Taylor, a 21-year machinist, was involved in that strike, too.

The pay increases offered would not amount to much, Taylor argued, because of the $217 a month cap on proposed health premiums. Those issues were also at the forefront of negotiations four years ago.

Taylor said he was im-pressed with the strike Thursday.

"Seems like this one is a little stronger to me," he said.

The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 733 was the first union to reject the revised proposal this week and seek strike sanctions. As predicted, the other trades honored the IBEW picket.

Several unions gave members questionnaires seeking "your final stand" on what they would like to see. Questions included how long workers are expecting or willing to be out of work; how much money they will come back for and what benefits and issues they want re-addressed.

Company officials were unavailable for comment Thursday.

Pascagoula police Capt. Kenny Johnson said the first day of the strike was orderly and that officers will be present as long as the holdout lasts. He said officers will also be at warehouses the company has throughout town.

http://www.gulflive.com/news/mississippipress/index.ssf?/base/news/117343892 786310.xml