[lbo-talk] Unions on Battlestar Galactica

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:35:21 PDT 2007

On 3/6/07, Matt <lbo4 at beyondzero.net> wrote:
> I can't be the only one who watches SciFi channel's Battlestar
> Galactica. I thought two episodes ago, "Dirty Hands", was a pretty
> progressive view of unions and class for TV, admittedly a cable
> network.

I spoke with parts of the community which watches that show, on the corporate scifi.com forum.

I find there's quite some radical thought there. The right-wing militants are more cautious now. Some were surprised that sensible political discussion often occurred, among people of different viewpoints. (With listening, etc.)

Some pointed out that the new union leader was untrustworthy. Note that after the military terrorized him by threatening to kill his wife, he then sat in a dark room bargaining with the president -- while accepting her alcohol. (In my view, good cop bad cop; the carrot and the stick.) Others pointed out that his ascension to union leader was unrealistic, as the show has a bias towards its main characters.

One thing which struck me was that many were sick of right-wing viewpoints -- but also the left-wing.

Personally, I don't take that as a statement that they're "moderates," but rather a call for rational discussion, without an overriding loyalty to some ideology.

Tayssir