[lbo-talk] abortion poll

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Mar 11 08:03:15 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Laws, no -- they can cover any cockamamie

> hypothetical situation a legislative body

> can dream up.

Yeah, in theory they can, but do they?

Come to think of it, though, the exception to the idea that no one ever makes laws prohibiting a thing when that thing has never ever been is whenever primitive religion gets involved. Making laws to prohibit non-existent women from seeking third-trimester abortions for fun fits right in with a tradition from the Salem witch trials to prosecution of Satanic child-abuse in day-care centers.

Usually, the fact that an idea is obvious nonsense diminishes its value.

But in the religious realm, if I claim "Jesus appeared to me in a vision and told me to tell you, give me your money," and you counter "A _nine-hundred-foot-tall_ Jesus appeared to me in a vision, etc." then you win, that is, you get all the money.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net