[lbo-talk] Output Falling in Oil-Rich Mexico, and Politics Get the Blame

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:26:34 PDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> Yoshie asks:
>
> > if fossil-fueled industrialization is to end sometime in the near
> > future, it has to be replaced by an alternative into which a great
> > deal of investment is already being made today, in a fashion that
> > coal was overtaken by oil.
> >
> > Is such investment being made now?
>
> I think for various definitions of "sometime" "near future" "great
> deal" "already being made today" and "in a fashion" the answer is a
> "resounding" 'yes' ...
>
> The devil is always in the details, but I think there's no chance I
> wouldn't be willing to back up with money or scotch that the end of the
> oil economy (likely to be replaced by the electricity economy) isn't
> already well underway. Yes, fossil fuel consumption will continue to
> rise (along with coal!) for some time, but the sky is not falling (at
> least not in this way).

My claim, of course, is NOT that the sky is falling BUT that there is a lot of oil out there, unexplored and untapped, due to the fact that most of the oil is in the South, and that the ruling classes are likely to prefer removing nationalist barriers to foreign investment to investing in alternative energy sources (except where strong lobbies for alternatives -- like ethanol -- exist). -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>