[lbo-talk] tech advice, eX propeller beanie alert

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 13 13:51:49 PDT 2007

A great deal is refurbished computers from big online stores like TigerDirect.com or RefurbDepot.com. Chip Bertlet

---------

Just as a side note... I've built maybe ten computers with monitor, keyboard, and mouse for almost nothing. I went on a kick about eight years ago to construct a FreeBSD network and spend no money at all. I didn't quite reach that goal, since it cost me about $200 in memory, network cards, hub, cables and other miscellaneous parts. I found computers in vacant lots, stuffed into the back of the warehouse where I worked, and others were just given to me, because I expressed an interest in anything anybody had they wanted to get rid of.

They all ran FreeBSD, had internet access through the server, and remote printing. I used my current computer, which is what I am trying to replace as the server for this network. It may not have been the enterprize edition, but it fucking worked.

I learned a tremendous amount about networks, internet, email, etc. I learned that retail units from Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, Compac, and others are shit. They are full of hidden crap where they cut corners or used non-standard/non-compliant components---hence the 200 dollars worth of memory, network cards, and miscellaneous cables, connectors and other stuff. I had everything from a 386 to a Pentium I hooked up to this system. The monitors were a real trip, trying to figure out what their specs were off the clone labels on the back, and then hand configuring XFConfig to work. Not to mention the weird network cards, power supplies, and boxes full of modems, video cards, memory chips, brackets, and other crap.

But what I learned most about was that the vast majority of people have no interest at all in computers. They like to surf, fool around on their favorite websites, download cool stuff, and fucking forget the rest of it. Pure consumerism, and kids are probably the front point on this mentality.

I tried to give this network to a buddy to install in a Native American charter school so the kids would learn about computers. Stupid me, I thought if you could write and compile your own programs (C, C++, Java, Perl), and the misc scripting langs, that would be cool. If you wanted to learn about how the internet was constructed, that would be cool. If you wanted to really learn about how computers work, that too would be cool. You could get out of a high school course series on this network and be almost ready for junior unix system administrator work. All these worlds and more were immediately available off the command line with a lot of guidance.

My buddy came back from a meeting with some of the teachers (his wife was one), and they decided no-way. Graphics, games, fast IP connection, surfing, etc. That's the ticket. Anything with a black screen and white letters was death, period.

On the other point from Joanna. It looks like the total cost will be around a eleven hundred dollars. This is about $200-300 more than I expected.

There are several reasons. I found a commerical grade keyboard from CVT like the one I have (old IBM monster with mechanical clicking keys) that weighs 7 lbs and is built like a truck, and I am hoping that spending the extra on a better grade DVD/CD drive will be worth it. I have had very bad luck with keyboards, mice, and CD drives in the past. It may have been just a fluke. I am hoping that higher price in some of these components means higher quality---but shit that is probably a dream.

As far as I can tell, the system will be a moderate quality gaming grade unit, which should be completely sufficient for any graphics applications I ever intend to use.

For Travis. I looked into the 7600GT series and they all have fans, with 2 DVI ports. The comments and reviews all mentioned the fan noise. The Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS has no fan, uses a copper heat sink, and has an analog monitor socket. Yes it's a little slower, but I am not gaming. I will be using some form of photoshop-gimp type software to make cd/dvds of images scanned from a film scanner, a digital camera, and/or a flat bed scanner. These peripherals are all later down the road, after the system itself is up and running.

Here's the final list:

Antec case, P150 .................129.99

Intel DG965WH Mobo ...............126.99

Intel E6300 Core2Duo cpu .........185.99

Kingston 2G 800Mhz main memory ...138.99

Seagate 400GB 16Mb cache .........119.99

Plextor PX-755SA DVD/CD RW .......105.99

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS ..........102.99

CVT Avant Prime Keyboard .........149.00

Logitech Mouse (9311440-403) ......12.98

-----------

1072.91

OS: FreeBSD 6.2 Total Bundle ......79.95

1152.86

(view with fixed width font)

Everything as far as I can tell is the retail boxed version, with all the little extras. I could probably chop off 200-300 bucks by changing the case, keyboard, DVD writer, downloading FreeBSD 6.1/2 off the web and go for the OEM version of several components.

On the other hand, I went to a local store and ask what they offered. Their box had 1GB main memory, lesser mobo, lesser Core 2 Duo cpu, smaller HDD, clone case, keyboard, dvd/cd drive, mouse, and on-board video, for about the same price with the vendor version of XP installed. I briefly talked to the tech guy who would have assembled/configured the system and asked if he would install FreeBSD if I supplied the disks. He looked at me like I had farted. He sniffed lightly and said, no. We understood each other prefectly.

BTW, the FreeBSD bundle includes a 4 disk set (all the GNU/KDE/GENOME/Xorg/Tool kit stuff) and the thousand page printed manual.

For comparison, take the current Mac Pro. It has roughly twice the cpu speed (2.66GHz) and two processors, half the memory (1GB), a lower grade graphics card (GeForce 7300GT), half the hard drive space (250GB), and about the same DVD/CD for only two an half times the price at 2,499. Very trendy case. But no manual.

CG