[lbo-talk] Output Falling in Oil-Rich Mexico, and Politics Get the Blame

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 13 09:40:37 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> As I recall the finance literature, there's not enough of a history
> to state authoritatively that stock returns are significantly
> different from zero over the long term. Since we've had stock markets
> for several centuries, that's a lot of data that still falls short of
> significance. So how can we generalize from Hubbert's n=1?
>
> Doug

Two points:

1. "n = 1" is misleading. In a time series, the n is the number of time samples; thus n is large here, not 1. Moreover, every year provides another opportunity to test Hubbert's model, and every year U. S. oil production provides further data that is consistent with the model. --Yes, despite all the political and economic pressure for the U. S. to become "energy independent", despite all the tax breaks to oil companies to subsidize domestic oil production, despite all the gee-whiz new technology to exploit existing oil fields and find new oil fields, U. S. oil production continues to drop, just as Hubbert predicted.

2. Hubbert's model also fits oil production patterns fairly well in other oil-producing nations like the UK and Norway. Sure, we need further research, but there is in fact a growing body of data that empirically validates the regression model.

Miles