[lbo-talk] Round to AIPAC on Iran Provision - But the Fat Lady Is Just Warming Up

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:00:09 PDT 2007

On 3/13/07, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:
> Round to AIPAC on Iran Provision - But the Fat Lady Is Just Warming Up
>
> Robert Naiman, Just Foreign Policy, March 13, 2007
>
> The House Democratic leadership last night acceded to pressure from
> conservative Democrats and Members of Congress close to the Israel
> lobby and agreed to drop a provision from the supplemental
> appropriation that would have barred a U.S. attack on Iran without
> Congressional authorization. Here's the AP story:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq
<snip>
> If we need to strengthen
> the Jewish peace organizations that, unlike AIPAC, actually represent
> the opinions of the majority of American Jews on questions of peace in
> the Middle East, that's what we should do.

What about a high-profile Jewish peace delegation to Iran, meeting Jewish Iranian MP Maurice Motamed, other Iranian leaders, and ordinary people of Iran? A Christian peace delegation from the National Council of Churches, the United Methodist Church, Pax Christi, etc. has already visited Iran: "U.S. Religious Delegation Finds Hope in Iran," <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/ncc020307.html>. But a Jewish delegation is bound to get far more media coverage*, especially if you take George Soros with you.

Jewish leftists on this list -- why not visit Iran and write about it?

If nothing else, you'll get to meet many beautiful people in beautiful modern and historic cities**, before Washington or Tel Aviv wipes them off the map.

* <http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/48794/> Media Blacks Out Iran Peace Delegation Representing 50+ Million in US Posted by Bruce Wilson at 12:59 PM on March 4, 2007. Bruce Wilson: Pro-Nuclear War Lobbying Group Gets More Attention

In their book The Record of The Paper : How The New York Times Misreports US Foreign Policy, Howard Friel and Richard Falk amply document how New York Times mis-reporting helped pave the way for the US invasion of Iraq.

[they] demonstrate how the newspaper of record

in the United States has consistently, over the last

50 years, misreported the facts related to the wars

waged by the United States. From Vietnam in the 1960s

to Nicaragua in the 1980s and Iraq today, the authors

accuse the New York Times of serial distortions.

They claim that such coverage now threatens not only

world legal order but constitutional democracy in the United States.

In late February 2007, delegates representing the National Council Of Churches, which has roughly 45 million members, and other religious groups traveled to Iran and met with top Iranian religious and political leaders, in hopes of increasing trust and reducing tensions that might lead to war between the US and Iran. On Monday February 26th the delegation gave a Washington press conference about the trip. Beyond a vitriolic New York Post parody of the delegation. _Not a single major US media venue has opted to cover the story._

** This video gives you a glimpse of Iran's beauty, its nature, cities, and people: <http://www.lucasgray.com/video/peacetrain.html>. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>