[lbo-talk] Output Falling in Oil-Rich Mexico, and Politics Get the Blame

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:22:12 PDT 2007

Yoshie wrote:

> But the question is, will global capitalism stay in business?
> If the answer is yes, it is safe to bet that oil consumption at the
> global level will continue to rise into the foreseeable future:

It's not a safe bet, Yoshie. It's as risky a bet as many others. To paraphrase Keynes, there's no scientific basis to ascertain that your bet is safer than others. Projections of this kind are only as good as the premises on which they are based. And those premises are usually that trends in consumption rates (or other current trends) continue. But, will they? Is the continuation of these trends consistent with the trends themselves?

Nothing wrong with thinking about different scenarios -- as long as we understand that the conclusions depend on premises that can't be taken as fixed. It's all fine. But, from a more general point of view, I prefer what you wrote in the posting that started the thread:

> "peak oil" theory confuses everything and
> turns attention of leftists away from the
> real [political] problem.

I thought this was a good warning against environmental fatalism -- of either sign.

In the spirit of what you wrote before, regular working people in the U.S. (let alone activists) shouldn't limit themselves to just predict the evolution of oil consumption while assuming ourselves as chopped liver. We're not. Insofar as we take responsibility, we're *the* decisive factor in the future evolution of oil consumption in the country and, given the size of our economy, in the world. We can make projections of the kind self-fulfilling, just as we can preempt them. We are consumers, producers, citizens, human beings -- capable of thought, communication, and concerted action. As such we can turn things around.

On an impressionistic basis as sound as any other, I could predict that the rebellion in South America, the Iraq fiasco, growing awareness of causes and effects of global warming, combined with a citizen revolt in the U.S. (under the growing influence of the left) will create new ideological and political conditions in the U.S. and the world at large.

That, under new management, the U.S. will not resist, but lead, global policy changes aimed to internalizing the external costs of carbon-based energy consumption by inducing changes in transportation and industry, committing public resources to renewable energy, etc. That taxpayers in rich countries will realize it is in their best interest to compensate poorer countries to help them develop (or convert) their economies on (to) a greener energy basis.

That the cost of these measures will be largely offset by smart global macro policies. That the international monetary system will be reformed to release funds for an expansion in global investment. That the resulting increase in global investment will be directed to "social" and "human capital" formation, to building greener transport, communication, and urban infrastructures, etc. I could go on and on....

And, as it has happened with legislation on child labor, workday, the environment, etc. and other institutional changes supported by a political active populace, I could predict that capital will begrudgingly adapt to these changes.

What's wrong with my scenario? What's wrong is that -- in Keynes' terms -- there's no scientific basis for it. It's sheer speculation. Your pessimism is as a good a basis for prediction as my optimism. The fact is, whether global capitalism stays in business or not (and that inclusive), the future is up for grabs.