[lbo-talk] 5th season of Wire????

Arash arash at riseup.net
Thu Mar 15 04:05:08 PDT 2007

Which is particularly good news since the creators originally conceived of the show spanning five seasons, so they will get to touch on all the topics they set out to despite their trouble with ratings. The possibility of a sixth season, one that would focus on the growth of Baltimore's Hispanic population, has even been proposed but David Simon is skeptical they have a rich enough perspective on the topic to do it justice:

http://www.slate.com/id/2154694/pagenum/all/#page_start

Simon: To be honest, one writer came up with another idea, and a really good one, but we realized that it would require so much research on our part that we couldn't do the work quickly enough to keep it in this dramatic world.

Slate: It wasn't this idea of examining the influx of Hispanics in Baltimore, was it?

Simon: Yes! It was.

Slate: David Mills mentioned it in the Slate "TV Club" on The Wire. I thought it was a fabulous idea.

Simon: Until now, Baltimore had no Hispanic population. And all of a sudden now we do—a large Central American population. Here's this remarkable new trend and it's also relevant to the life of the city. Two things preclude me to keep me from jumping up and down with HBO: One, I just did everything I could for Season 5; two, none of us is fluent in Spanish; none of us is intimately connected to the lives of Hispanics in Baltimore. None of us could do it with the degree of verisimilitude we demand of ourselves. We don't have that world in our pocket. By time we did the research, The Wire would have been off for two years. It's one thing when we take six months off to learn how the port works; we're still in the world we know. But I did no decent journalism about East Baltimore, where most Central Americans are living. It would be great if we could. When I saw the idea in print, I think I reacted as you did: Oh shit! Someone came up with Season 6! For all I know, David Mills mentioned it to me a few years ago, but it didn't have the import then that it does today. Someone should get to that story. It's very typical of Baltimore in that we would be late on that. Until now, Baltimore had never had this kind of population—it was only 2, 3 percent Hispanic.

On 3/15/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Will there be a 5th season?

Yes, a fifth season was announced last fall.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam