[lbo-talk] Wondering the Silk Road, was Muslims and Vodka...

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 07:09:09 PDT 2007

--- Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:
> To indulge this shameless orientalism, I like to get
> tipsy before hand
> so I can swoon. It is extra-ordinarily erotic, like
> belly dancing. The
> line or rather my cultural-presupposed line between
> the sacred and the
> profane is blurred by the passion I sense from these
> forays into
> Islam. It really is an art trip. But it is also
> really a little
> crazy. I practiced the call to prayer over and over
> and over to get
> the deep throated `Hja' sound and the high nasal
> sigh. Like any other
> art trip you can wear it out fast, so I come back to
> it in small
> doses, in order to reach into the past and the
> sensibilities that have
> created these worlds.

You might like this. Somebody made a trippy home video of Kazan (capital of Tatarstan, with Europe's largest mosque): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jgnXwF3IF4 . It's pretty cool. ;)

Most of it is of the Kremlin (the enormous white walls and enclosed buildings) and the mosque therein. The music is from the Brother soundtrack. When I was there it was November and fucking cold.

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss an email again! Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/