[lbo-talk] Islam and Muslims (was Doug and Islam)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:06:45 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >It's good to recognize similarities and acknowledge mutual influences
> >between religious and irreligious left traditions, so both sides will
> >know that they have a lot in common, which will make cooperation
> >easier by removing grounds for misunderstanding and false senses of
> >superiority.
> >--
> >Yoshie
>
> Well, sure. But this religious awakening you're having seems more
> personal than political. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not
> really floating my boat.

If we actually had a political party here on the Left and I had belonged to one, I'd make a case for what I have been saying in that context, if the party had the same type of problem that I see among many individual leftists, closing the party to participation of Muslims, Latino immigrants, etc and making the party unfocused or insufficiently focused on US wars in the Middle East. The problem is that any thought that anyone irreligious has here now will remain more or less personal in the USA unless there is a political vehicle that takes it up. Such a political vehicle may never arise in the USA, to be sure. The chances are that nothing will do, and it won't matter what anyone thinks about anything.

> > > I like that one. ;)
> >
> >Just as many Islamists who have taken their ideas about capitalism
> >from Marxism don't recognize it, as James Heartfield noted.
>
> I meant I thought writing "recolonize" was funny.

Oh, I didn't realize that -- it is funny, and fitting, too! I think all sides of debates on Marxism and religion have actually practiced a kind of intellectual colonialism often without knowing it. -- Yoshie