[lbo-talk] Japan issues cherry blossom apology

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Mar 16 21:03:13 PDT 2007

NDTV.com http://www.ndtv.com/homepage/

International

Japan issues cherry blossom apology http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?id=102217

NDTV Correspondent

Friday, March 16, 2007 (Tokyo):

Officials with the Japanese meteorological agency made a public apology after cherry blossoms failed to bloom as forecast.

Travel agents who promise tourists cherry blossom parties have to now look for other arrangements.

Pale pink cherry flowers is a national obsession in Japan.

Last week's official forecast was front-page news. When the cherry blossoms refused to appear an embarrassed Meteorological Agency apologized in a press conference for inaccurate forecast.

"There were mistakes in our forecast of the blossoming of the cherry blossoms in several regions. We deeply apologize," Kei'ichi Kashiwagi who heads the Meteorological Agency said.

Officials blamed inaccurate forecast on a bug in its database.

The forecast guide travel agencies to plan tours and for others to set up parties.

Cherry blossoms appear briefly - which Japanese say is a poignant reminder of the shortness of life.