[lbo-talk] Islam and Muslims (was Doug and Islam)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 16 21:44:25 PDT 2007

I think Carl might be surprised (and perhaps disturbed) by how much the Abrahamic faiths agree with him.

First, in their insistence on the unknowability of God: at their heart is the assertion that God is not one of the gods of religion, in the sense of a force in the universe that can't be controlled directly but only by cajolery (prayer) and bribery (sacrifice). For Aquinas, e.g., "in God there is neither genus nor species, therefore God cannot be defined"; and God is "beyond the order of all beings" (i.e, God and the universe don't add up to two).

Second, in their rejection of religion: in the world of the Israelite invention (either sense) of God, religion was the guarantor of the stratified societies ruled by priest-kings. The God of the Hebrew bible

condemns that society and that religion, e.g., in the decalogue (10 commandments), the first half of which recommends atheism in regard to the religion of the gods, and the second half of which recommends anarchism in regard to the society of the priest-kings.

For all three Abrahamic faiths, the greatest sin is, oddly enough, idolatry. They see it as acquiescing in the worship of something less than God, something that guarantees oppression. "I am YHWH your liberator, who led you out of Egypt: you shall have no gods." --CGE