[lbo-talk] Zizek: "Where to look for revolutionary potential?"

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 21:50:49 PDT 2007

Hah. On lots of counts. I'm a criminal defense lawyer, among other things, and a professor who teaches criminal law, and I don't think you should romanticize or idealize inmates. Most people in prison are guilty. They mostly committed sordid crimes of greed and violence that most people do not commit even if they are poor and victims of discrimination. Crime is not a revolutionary activity. Prison does not produce disciplined militants. Prisoners are, um, imprisoned, under lock and key and at the immediate mercy of armed people who can use force to stifle resistance with even more impunity than on the outside. If our hope is in the prisons, we are doomed.