[lbo-talk] Hill refines her posish on war

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 13:52:19 PDT 2007

On 3/17/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> Where are the
> legislators who will stand up to the shortcuts that the executive are
> taking each day that will, if left unchecked, extract a toll far beyond
> the 'blood and treasure' we're experiencing with the adventure in Iraq?
>
> -=-
>
> It's probably not here:
>
> http://feingold.senate.gov/~feingold/pdf/ltr_031507_Gonzales.pdf
>
> I think it's weird that only 4 hits come from Google News on this issue.
>
> http://news.google.com/news?q=kennedy+durbin+feingold+gonzales
>
> Here's one:
>
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/03/democratic_sena.html
>
> Maybe, as Doug says, the war is a <<bloody, expensive "diversion.">> ...
> but what about the other war, the one being waged on US soil? The one
> that the majority of people on this list are personally having waged
> against them?

If you are talking about the war on civil liberties in the USA (which I gather is the case from the links), that, too, is now waged in the name of "war on terrorism." Most types of people who end up on mailing lists like this are very unlikely to come under warrantless surveillance and the like. Today, secular leftists are not the primary or probably even secondary or tertiary targets of such programs -- Muslims, especially immigrant Muslims, are. Like the Iraq War, it is still first and foremost "other people's problem," even for leftists, let alone most of the American public. -- Yoshie