[lbo-talk] Zizek: "Where to look for revolutionary potential?"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Mar 17 14:30:39 PDT 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:51:23 -0700 (PDT) Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> writes:
> -- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Where to look for a revolutionary potential?
> >

> > by Slavoj Žižek
> >

> [WS:] Zizek may be up to something this time,
> especially re. the proximity of NYC and Slovene
> academics - but I think he is quite unrealistic about
> the revolutionary potential of the slum dwellers. In
> fact his percpeption of slum dwellers is that of a
> pampered star-eyed arm chair philsophiser who did not
> even come near a slum.
>
> I did, in Nairobi, inter alia. A short visit, to
> be sure, but eye opening. I got there thanks to an
> 'inside connection' - my driver lived there and
> offered to show it to me. Before I proceed I need to
> expaln why a driver employed by a univesity in Nairobi
> lived in a slum. He did so, because most of his
> salary, not so bad for local conditions, went to
> support his extended family, specifically health care.
> There is no public health insurance in Kenya -
> hospital care is strictly on fee-for-service basis.
> As a rsult, extended families bear the finacial burden
> of hospital care of their relatives.

> This was not the only slum I visited in my travels.
> I've also been to the slums of Siem Reap, Bangkok,
> Maputo, Santiago and Mexico City. In all those places
> I saw signs of social structure and order amids the
> squarlor. It is only pampered arm-chair philosophers
> and campus radicals bored with their middle class
> existence and trying to escape their petit bourgeois
> ennui by looking for the exotic that see a "boiling
> revoltionary mass" or similar bullshit. I see people
> trying to build normal lives and maintain order and
> dignity, even amidst squarlor. Anyone who is
> imagining that these pople would drop whatever little
> order and stability they have for the
> pseudo-revolutionary mumbo jumbo jumbo of the blase
> first world intellectuals needs to have his head
> examined.

However, under certain circumstances, they might well become revolutionaries precisely in order to hold on to or recreate the little stability and order that they have, or had, in their lives in the face of threatening economic, social, and political forces. I don't think that most people, whether they be workers, peasants, or slum dwellers ever become revolutionaries, simply for the hell of it. They do so, because they see, usually following a period of improving conditions, the gains they had made come under threat