[lbo-talk] Sipping Wine (was Zizek: "Where to look for revolutionary potential?" )

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 20:14:53 PDT 2007

Khmelniki wasn't an intellectual for sure. And if he was a revolutionary, then I'm agin it. His memory haunted Jews for hundreds of years. My Hungarian grandmother, whose family came from a town on the Ukrainian border, would spook us as kids by telling us that if we did this or that or other otherwise misbehaved, Khmielniki would come for us. When as a teenager, I found out the bogeyman was a real person,I asked whether she knew this, she didn't; it was something her mother had used to keep her own kids in line. Then I learned more and found out why.

As to the "intellectual" issue, a measured and sensible approach is in order. Woj is just being his usual bombthrowing self when he says that intellectuals made revolutions, with the workers as marionettes dancing at the end of their strings. If it were that easy we'd have had a revolution or ten by now. The workers do have a say in what happens, really a decisive one. If they stay home, all those string-holding intellectuals have an empty stage. But their ideas do shape the landscape and the terms of the fight when the workers do come out. Without them you get blind revolts. With them, of course, there are other risks, like thinking they are puppeteers and the workers are puppets to be manipulated.