[lbo-talk] Nawal El Saadawi: Women, Islam, and Democratization

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Mar 19 12:32:59 PDT 2007

Yoshie:

In case you have a false impression, Nawal El Saadawi is neither anti-religion nor anti-Islam. She in fact goes so far as to say that "A fair comparison [with other holy books] will help us to discover that the Quran or fundamental teachings of Islam are relatively progressive in relation to women and democracy." -- Yoshie

[WS:] Yoshie, East Germany had the "Demokratische" in its name and the Soviet constitution read like the universal declaration of human rights, but the reality was that both were police states. As they say back in the old country, paper is very patient, it will accept anything.

I suspect that your infatuation wit Islam serves no other purpose but a sophisticated version of trolling - made solely for the purpose of pissing off you audience. I find it difficult to believe that an otherwise intelligent person falls for this holy script tripe.

Wojtek