[lbo-talk] Nawal El Saadawi: Women, Islam, and Democratization

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:54:43 PDT 2007

> Either that, or it's the typical First World leftist's loss of hope
> for anything good happening in the North, so instead she's looking
> abroad for deliverance, and since not much is happening there either
> (outside Venezuela), she cheers for what little that is, which is
> politicized Islam.

Nawal El Saadawi is an Egyptian, though. Don't you care about her opinion of Islam and religion? She obviously thinks it's important to combat Islamophobia and imperialism as well as fundamentalism. I'd venture to say that such an opinion is more common outside the First World than inside it, today, since in the First World Islamophobia and imperialism are widely accepted. Unless we change that, though, we won't be stopping US wars in the Middle East and elsewhere. -- Yoshie