[lbo-talk] global food supplies falling?

Jason lists at moduszine.com
Mon Mar 19 13:04:30 PDT 2007

On 2007-03-19 03:28:34 +0000 Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Material conditions are where you find revolutionary potential.
> Global
> warming
> signals the breakdown of the capitalist system. Quite simply, the
> system
> cannot expand without killing its "market" and it cannot live without
> expanding. As this comes to be recognized by more and more workers,
> a need to
> replace capitalism (a system rooted in the ever expanding production
> of
> commodities by the producing class) will develop.

Wow, I almost hate to break it to you but I'm in close contact with the sustainable building industry and a lot of enviro types through my job (no my choice, by the way) and regardless of what one makes of global warming there is absolutely zero revolutionay potential in it. At the absolute best you could say that eco concerns will be - and in fact already are being - consumed by capitalism. At worst... well, I'll leave it to others on this list.

From where I'm standing I see no shortage of businesses making plenty of money from global warming, real, imagined, man-made or natural.

Jason.

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.