[lbo-talk] Ire over extortions by Maoists

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 20 07:09:12 PDT 2007

The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007

International

Ire over extortions by Maoists http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/20/stories/2007032004631400.htm

Ameet Dhakal

KATHMANDU: Over 70 business organisations, including the Federation of Nepalese Chamber of Commerce and Industries, have announced indefinite closure of businesses in Nepal in protest against the "continued extortion and intimidation" by the Maoists.

The representatives of the business organisations announced the closure at a press conference at Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala's residence after they failed to meet him. They wanted to represent to the Premier the continued excesses of the Maoists and to seek his assurance for security.

The businessmen took the harsh step after the activists of the Maoist-affiliated Youth Communist League abducted owner of a hotel from the heart of Kathmandu for failing to donate them Rs. 2 million. The businessmen said this was fourth such incident in a week's time.

The hotel owner told journalists that he was beaten badly. "They released me only after forcing me to sign a paper promising to pay them Rs. 10 million in donation."

The operators of sensitive services like bank and airlines will also shut down their services starting Tuesday. "We will not resume businesses unless the Prime Minister assures us of security in the future." Maoist's spokesperson Krishna Bahadur Mahara downplayed the incident and said, "Our party should not be dragged into the controversy. It's a case of a conflict between the hotel owner and the workers."

Copyright © 2007, The Hindu.