[lbo-talk] I Cried You Didn't Listen

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Mar 20 10:49:21 PDT 2007

Ian:

Sounds like you need to shop around for a different therapist. Better yet, since you're into the aesthetics of futilism, why not just go to the nearest mall? It doesn't matter anyway, right Mr. Certitude?

[WS:] Nah, I will stick with the current one. It cured me from much of the leftist bullshit (as defined in Frankfurt's book on the subject), and the associated need to blame someone or something to have an illusion of being in control. Fortunately, none of the shrinks I went through could pin any of the serious DSM IV stuff on me other than relatively mild depression.

I quite frankly think that much of the political discourse in this country (both left and right) has its roots in emotional or mental disorders - anxieties about ambiguities and uncertainties of life, compulsive-obsessive need to blame others, sadomasochistic desires to hurt others, mental rigidity, narcissistic disorder, depression, and so on. No normal and emotionally stable person can produce such bullshit on a sustained basis.

I can freely admit now that much of my initial (years ago) attraction to the radical leftist bullshit (as defined by Frankfurt) was linked to my own emotional disorders, fueled by depression, and manifested mainly by the intense fear of losing control and being overpowered by some imaginary force or authority. Verbal attacks on that imaginary authority, supplied in the form of canned speech by leftist diatribes, gave me an illusion of retaining control of my own life, and helped me to cope with my depression without the need for medication (I do not respond well to anti-depressants, and I am afraid of long term side effects). After hours of therapy I am much better at controlling my own emotions (albeit I am still working on it). I can stand in front of a 12-step group and say 'My name is Wojtek and I am a lefto-holic :). Consequently, I do not need the "radical critique," leftist demons, and kindred verbal props to cope with my problems anymore. If anything, such discourse only gets on my nerves, because it is so full of "negative energy" and it is quite depressing.

Thanks to the therapy I was able to discover my true ideological leaning amidst the layers of radical bullshit (as defined by Frankfurt) - a wussy liberal with the penchant for grey areas, ambiguities and uncertainties which make life so much diverse and interesting.

Wojtek