[lbo-talk] where are the women?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 15:13:04 PDT 2007

> I was just looking at the sex ratios for the populations of various
> countries, and discovered an amazing thing - the extraordinarily low
> percentage of women in certain Arab countries. Where did all the
> women go?
>
> I understand the predominance of the fSU countries at the other end,
> though - the men drank themselves to death.
>

> COUNTRIES RANKED BY SHARE OF FEMALES IN POPULATION
> 2005 data, World Bank
>
> lowest
> ------
> United Arab Emirates 31.9%
> Qatar 32.7
> Kuwait 40.0
> Bahrain 43.0
> Oman 43.8
> Saudi Arabia 46.0

These are all Gulf states, artificial states, where non-citizens outnumber citizens in the labor force. Check the sex ratios of non-citizen workers. If men outnumber women greatly among the non-citizen workers in the Gulf states, that brings down the shares of females in the Gulf state populations a lot. The question in this case, unlike India and China for instance, is not what happened to the missing women but why the Gulf states need so many more foreign male workers than foreign female workers in the labor force (which is easy to guess -- oil and construction are predominantly men's jobs).

So, don't start a match-making service hitching Russian women to Gulf Arab men -- you'll be disappointed. :-> -- Yoshie