[lbo-talk] BBC2 documentary on capitalism, game theory, greed, altruism

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 05:29:29 PDT 2007

On 3/13/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/07, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "The Trap," a new 3-part documentary on BBC2 about
> > capitalism, altruism, & assumptions that underly
> > mainstream economics, among other things, started
> > March 11. I don't get BBC2 so I hope someone makes it
> > available via chomskytorrents.org.

The first part got a good release on SOS (via TPB) but the second part seems late in arriving. It is up on Mininova but I don't know about the quality. If you aren't interested in archiving the episodes and just want to watch them, there seems to be a decent release here, streaming and possibly available for DL in thier player if you register:

Part 1 http://www.veoh.com/videos/v307015829gh4cB

Part 2 http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3148379a35jXxp

I've only watched the first ep so far. As with all of Curtis' docs, there is certainly a fair amount of license he takes in making his argument. This is less in terms of the facts he presents than the direct causality he presumes. I am very happy to see him blaming the public choice assholes here at GMU for some of the current difficulties--and was surprised to learn about the connection he presents with James Buchanan (father of Public Choice econ) and the Thatcher government--but it is hardly the whole story. In fact, when you watch his three latest documentary series back to back, I'm sure the causes of the current difficulties would become somewhat more muddled.

Still it is a good documentary and the overall argument--that the dominant US/UK definition of "freedom" is narrow and dehumanizing--is definitely a worthy critique, even if it is a bit more Hegelian than some might like. I also think that, however uneven his style of argument, many on the list will appreciate that he doesn't shirk from making the larger material arguments about how, to quote the opening sequence, "Governments, committed to creating freedom of choice in all areas, have actually presided over a rise in inequalities and a dramatic collapse in social mobility. The consequence has been a return of the power of class and privilege." But then that has been a contentious issue in recent weeks so maybe that won't sit well either.

In any case, the doc is worth a look.