[lbo-talk] The Problem of American Homicide

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 07:48:31 PDT 2007

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Looking for something else I stumbled on this
> edition of American
> Historical Review from February 2006 that addresses
> a theme that's
> come up here now and again. All of the articles
> mentioned here are
> available online:

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ahr/111.1/

[WS:]Thanks for that link, it was very useful. I printed the articles and will read them soon. Off the top of my head, Spierenburg's claim makes a lot of sense to me and dove tails with other cross-Atlantic comparisons, e.g. welfare policies. Theda Skocpol argues that the US version of democracy was an obstacle to the development of the organized labor and labor-influenced welfare policies. Arendt Lijphart compares majoritarian and corporatists/parliamentary democracies and concludes that the latter are much better at curbing social conflicts and solving social problems.

I will read the papers as soon as I can, I will probably comment more.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail